Hi there! Today I’m sharing a fun mixed media page on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog!
You’ll never guess it, but my mojo was gone this week… Fortunately I have an antidote that almost never seems to let me down: leafing through magazines!
In the Netherlands we have truly wonderful magazines like Flow and Happinez filled with colourful, inspirational pages like this one:
So… when I saw this, I thought I’d try and recreate something like it with my Elizabeth Craft Designs flower dies.
And here’s what I ended up with:
Here are the steps I took to get there:
1. Take a sheet of white cardstock (mine was A4 size) and cut a large circle shape out of it. I used compasses to draw the circle and then cut it out with a pair of scissors.
2. Die-cut flower shapes out of another sheet of white cardstock or watercolour paper. Use the paper with the cut-out circle to help decide how many flowers you need.
3. Die-cut branches and twigs are usually to delicate to paint afterwards, so die-cut leaves, twigs and branches out of (left-over) painted or inked papers and Shimmer Sheetz.
4. Paint your flower shapes with acrylic paint and let them dry.
Tip: to prevent your painted shapes from getting stuck to the surface, lift and move them immediately after painting.
5. Add details to the flowers and leaves with acrylic paint pens or markers.
6. Assemble your page. Start with the die-cut twigs and branches, then adhere the flower shapes and end with the leaves. Add more details with acrylic paint pens, if you want.
7. Put another sheet of white cardstock behind the sheet with the flower arrangement. Decide on a text you want to add to the circle shape.
8. Cut the letters out of Shimmer Sheetz. I cut the letters freehand, but the Alphabeth 1 – Caps set is also perfect for this!
9. Adhere the letters inside the circle shape.
I hope you’ll try painting your die-cut shapes. It’s so much fun to do and you can really adapt the die-cuts to whatever project you’re creating.
Painted flowers are a fun addition to cards, scrapbooking pages, mixed media projects and altered objects!
Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful day!
Elizabeth Craft Designs:
702 Flower Set 2
703 Triple Leaf Set
728 Bunch of Flowers 1
758 Berry Branch
1030 Bunch of Flowers 4
1033 Leafy Branch
213 Shimmer Sheetz – Green Metallic
218 Shimmer Sheetz – Fire Opal Gemstone
White cardstock and/or watercolour paper
Scraps of painted/inked paper
Acrylic paint (Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic – Bright Aqua Green, Cadmium Red Light Hue, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Dioxazine Purple, Emerald Green, Medium Magenta, Titanium White, Quinacridone Magenta)
Acrylic paint pens (Derwent Grafik Line Painter 0.5 – Billy, Brilliant, Clockwork, Fingers, Snow, Tickled)