My name is Marsha Valk, and I live in Amersfoort, a city in the middle of the Netherlands, together with my husband, Harold.
I’m a craft professional: I make craft videos, I write articles for craft magazines, I promote, and demo craft products and I teach craft projects. This also means that I’m a photographer, video maker, designer, writer/blogger and some sort of marketing person.
My current crafty adventures started in 2003 when I discovered scrapbooking, but I’ve been a creative soul all my life, and I’ve been interested in art history and modern art for as long as I can remember.
By 2007 the scrapbooking had turned into a daily habit, and I started this blog mainly to be able to show my (then) colleagues what I was creating without having to physically bring all my scrapbooks to work all the time.
In the last two years, my focus has shifted from scrapbooking to mixed media/art journaling and general crafts. And more importantly: it’s not a hobby anymore. This is my job!
English/Dutch – Dutch/English
I started blogging in Dutch and switched over to English somewhere along the way. This means that you may need Google Translate if you go digging in the blog archives. Don’t hesitate to drop me a line if you need help translating any of the old posts or tutorials: I’ll be happy to help!
(Andersom geldt dat natuurlijk ook: misschien ben je hier via Google terecht gekomen en zie je dat ik tegenwoordig in het Engels blog. Schroom niet om me een bericht te sturen als je iets niet begrijpt! En… wil je op de hoogte blijven van nieuwtjes in het Nederlands? Schrijf je dan in voor mijn Nederlandse nieuwsbrief!)
So… I’m not a native English speaker/writer. I mix up UK/US-English all the time, and I make mistakes… A lot of errors… BAD mistakes… So bear with me (not ‘bare’) and please know from the bottom of my heart that I never mean to offend anyone.
Facts about me
– I’m an introvert.
– I wear braces.
– I have a hard time staying on the exercise wagon.
– I do not know how to spell ‘exercise’. I ALWAYS have to check first…
– I’m a city girl. I love cities, notably Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Hamburg, Berlin, Paris, London and NYC.
– I also love the sea (though I hate the sand).
– I’m a shoe snob.
– I love brussels sprouts. I have always liked them, even as a kid!
– I regularly have to bite my tongue at the gym and in stores… because I tend to sing along with songs when I hear music playing. At home, I burst into song whenever I want. Out loud… Especially while crafting… It just makes me feel happy.
– I believe in using what you have at home. I love to re-purpose and recycle stuff into the projects I create. My most loved projects came to life with the help of (painted or inked) scraps I found on my craft table.
– I also believe in quality over quantity. If I do have to buy something (because sometimes I do need or, want something new), I prefer to support friends, my favourite designers, small businesses and, local businesses.