My name is Marsha Valk and I live in Amersfoort, a city in the middle of the Netherlands, together with my husband Harold.
I’m a craft professional: I make craft videos, I write articles for craft magazines, I promote and demo craft products and I teach craft projects. This also means that I’m a photographer, video maker, designer, writer/blogger and some sort of marketing person.
My current crafty adventures started in 2003 when I discovered scrapbooking, but I’ve been a creative soul all my life and I’ve been interested in art history and modern art for as long as I can remember.
By 2007 the scrapbooking had turned into a daily habit and I started this blog mainly to be able to show my (then) colleagues what it was exactly that I was creating without having to physically bring all my scrapbooks to work all the time.
In the last two years my focus has shifted from scrapbooking to mixed media/art journaling and general crafts. And more importantly: it’s not a hobby any more. This is my job!
English/Dutch – Dutch/English
I started blogging in Dutch and switched over to English somewhere a long the way. This means that you may need Google translate if you go into the blog archives. Don’t hesitate to drop me a line if you need help translating any of the old posts or tutorials: I’ll be happy to help!
(Andersom geldt dat natuurlijk ook: misschien ben je hier via Google terecht gekomen en zie je dat ik tegenwoordig in het Engels blog. Schroom niet om me een bericht te sturen als je iets niet begrijpt! En… wil je op de hoogte blijven van nieuwtjes in het Nederlands? Schrijf je dan in voor mijn Nederlandse nieuwsbrief!)
So… I’m not a native English speaker/writer. I mix up UK/US-English all the time and I make mistakes… A lot of mistakes… Really, really BAD mistakes… So bear with me (not ‘bare’) and please know from the bottom of my heart that I never ever mean to offend anyone.
Facts about me
– I’m an introvert
– I spent my 40th birthday in New York City
– I have a hard time staying on the exercise wagon
– I don’t know how to spell ‘exercise’… I ALWAYS have to check it first…
– I’m a city girl. I love cities, especially Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Hamburg, Berlin and NYC
– I also love the sea (though I hate the sand)
– I’m a shoe snob
– And I prefer stripy, dotty, colourful socks over plain ones. Quirky sock days are just more fun, even if the socks turn out to be covered by boots!
– I love brussels sprouts. I have always liked them, even as a kid!
– I regularly have to bite my tongue at the gym and in stores… because I tend to sing a long with songs when I hear music playing. At home I burst into song whenever I want. Out loud… Especially whilst crafting… It just makes me feel happy
– I love to re-purpose and recycle stuff into the projects I create. My most loved projects came to life with the help of (painted or inked) scraps I found on my craft table